Principal Mechanical Analysis Engineer
Cobham is seeking a Principal Mechanical Analysis Engineer to apply knowledge of engineering principles, theories, and structural analyses to complex and precise mechanical and electro-mechanical components and mechanisms designed for extreme environments such as space. The Principal Mechanical Analysis Engineer will apply their knowledge of material properties and technologies, finite element modeling, static analysis, fatigue analysis, damage tolerance analysis, thermal analysis, vibration analysis, and structural testing, etc. to determine the structural and thermal adequacy of new and existing designs to the program requirements and specifications. The Principal Mechanical Analysis Engineer will collaborate on structural and thermal design, manufacturing, testing, and post-delivery support of products such as motors, actuators, slip rings, instruments, controls, and mechanisms.
This position reports to the Chief Engineer. The Principal Mechanical Analysis Engineer must effectively interface with peers, other departments, suppliers, and customers as needed to support successful execution of projects and company objectives in a timely manner. A high degree of self-sufficiency is expected for this role.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:1. Perform Mechanical Analyses. Perform analyses and computer simulations of complex electro-mechanical assemblies and components. Solve problems requiring a broad knowledge of thermal, structural, and/or aerodynamic principles. Develop comprehensive trade-studies and technical presentations that are reviewed by both senior program staff and external customers.
2. Support Design & Development Projects. Responsible for achievement of technical, schedule, and cost requirements for assigned tasks. Direct and supervise the work of other engineers, designers, and support personnel as assigned. Take ownership and responsibility for analyses and validation testing through the entire product life cycle.
3. System Requirements Analysis. Interpret system specifications and reduce to mechanical and electro-mechanical design requirements. Assess designs against those requirements, assess risks, conduct design trade studies, and participate in developing cost effective and reliable designs that meet the program requirements, including demanding space environmental requirements.
4. Perform Planning and Reporting. Formulate an analysis and validation plan or work from technical objectives and overall schedules as specified by senior project staff. Report technical and schedule progress at program reviews and internal/customer design reviews as required. Coordinate work activities with other groups.
5. Direct Fabrication and Test of Hardware. Develop test plans and test procedures and direct the fabrication of fixtures, prototypes, and flight hardware. Conduct or direct sub-system and product-level mechanical and electro-mechanical testing to validate compliance to system requirements. Ensure manufacturability and reliability of designs.
6. Assure Complete Product Life Cycle Documentation. Perform documentation of the design with the support of design/drafting and manufacturing engineering. Conduct tolerance stack-up analyses and assure that tolerancing is documented correctly. Write or contribute to travellers and other work instructions as required. Participate in Root Cause Corrective Action investigations and document analyses and findings for presentations to internal and customer Failure Review Boards. Assure that corrective actions are properly implemented. Incorporate continuous improvements during product life cycle.
7. Support Proposal Development. Participate in the preparation of technical proposals.
8. Perform Other Duties. Assignments may include research and development of new techniques and materials as a result of independent study. Perform other duties and accept responsibilities as required.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ work experience performing relevant structural and thermal analyses of aerospace and/or space products such as moving mechanisms and structures as well as electrical and electro-mechanical assemblies
- Strong proficiency in PTC CREO Simulate, ANSYS, and/or NASTRAN Finite Element Analysis tools is required
- Must have extensive knowledge of materials, manufacturing, and testing practices and processes
- Experience with preparing and presenting technical reports and analyses required
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools required
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Physics preferred
- Familiarity with methods and practices used in the analysis of mechanisms and hardware in a vacuum environment is preferred
- Experience interfacing directly with customers preferred
Cobham’s values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world’s leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.