Mechanical Engineer II
Cobham is seeking a Mechanical Engineer II
The Mechanical Engineer will design and analyze electronic modules of low complexity; provide mechanical engineering support for production programs, including fixture design and optimization, discrepant parts and material disposition, failure analysis and corrective action implementation. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES:
1. Interface with electrical engineers, manufacturing engineers and personnel, customers and suppliers to determine mechanical design requirements and constraints; provide engineering support to production on existing products.
2. Design mechanical fixtures & tools and document design; provide design and detail drawing direction to drafting.
3. Create, check and release formal documentation and/or directs design staff to execute task.
4. Collaborate with and/or direct machinists, technicians, assembler and suppliers to execute hardware builds and tests/
5.Perform thermal, structural, weight and tolerance analysis on hardware; conduct tooling design, optimization and implementation.
6. Write-up Engineering Change Orders (ECO) to production drawings; participate as a Member Review Board (MRB) to resolve disposition of hardware; support failure analysis and corrective actions implementation; optimizes electronic packaging.
7.Prepare and present information to internal and external customers.
8.Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices; maintain a clean and safe workstation.
9.Improve and maintain 5S in your area; make suggestions for improvements.
10. Participate in Lean Six/Sigma activities in own work area as well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional problem solving.
11. Collaborate in team meetings and activities, including SET team support as appropriate.
12.Perform other related duties as assigned. MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
1. 3-5 years of related experience in electro-mechanical packaging, design, analysis and documentation, including working knowledge of 2D/3D CAD software; experience in microwave/millimeter wave packaging a plus
2. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or an additional 5+ years of experience in lieu of degree.
3. Communication skills: ability to receive messages by telephone, in person, electronically and in writing; ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to read, interpret and comprehend complex written and verbal instructions; communicate across organizational levels; ability to read, analyze and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; ability to speak effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers and the general public; ability to communicate with quality, integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and encourages innovation and possibilities;
4. Reasoning skills: ability to sufficiently apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations;
5. Math skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
6. Computer skills: exposure to a networked environment using a Windows and/or Windows like interface using Microsoft office suite; ability to use Enterprise-wide information systems such as SAP and drawing-viewing programs such AutoCAD and at least one of 3D solid modeling package, such as Solid Works, preferred;
7. Technical skills: knowledge of electronics packaging, including Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), interconnects, thermal an structural analysis and the concepts of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) Radio Frequency Interference (RFI), desired; conceptual understanding of metal fabrication, electronics assembly and manufacturing flow, desired; ability to use common hand, power and shop tools; must understand ANSI Y 14.5 dimensioning and tolerance;
8. Time Management & organizational skills: flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to maintain confidentiality;
9. Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive and positive even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fully accountable for their success; align actions, behaviors and conversations to what matters most; bring out the best in others and recognize the value in every person’s contributions; ability to work independently being proactive to resolve work issues or notify supervisor of resources needed; ability to coordinate with other employees and as part of a team.
1. May be required to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires USA Citizenship.
Cobham’s values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world’s leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.